Welcome!!!

Welcome to Ms. Keenon's art classroom! I look forward to an exciting year creating art. I am a new teacher and experienced artist who is eager to share my passion and love of art with my students.

A little about me: I am a working artist with gallery representation both here in Chicago and in L.A. I graduated from The School of the Art Institute of Chicago with a Bachelor's of Fine Arts in 2005 and received my Master's in Art Education from Columbia College in 2010. My focus is in getting to know my students so that they enjoy the art making process while incorporating art theory, history and criticism. Every project will be accompanied by a piece of writing, a historical context and some form of criticism.

Through the school year, I will be showcasing students' work on this site. I will also be posting pertinent information such as assignments, the syllabus and events as well as information on artists we discuss in class.

This is going to be a fantastic year!!!!!

Monday, November 8, 2010

The Chicago Map Project

****THIS PROJECT GOES WITH THE ESSAY DIRECTLY BELOW THIS POST****

1. Trace Altgeld Gardens (at the very bottom of the map) and 2 other neighborhoods. You may trace or free-hand draw.

2. On a larger sheet of white paper, transfer each neighborhood shape at least 2 times (you should have at least 6 shapes). The shapes may overlap one another.

3. Color your new abstract Chicago map with any colors you wish. You must cover the entire sheet of white paper. You must also use 2 of these 4 techniques:
A. Scratching (you could use a pen cap for this):


B. Blending:

C. Overlapping:
A blended picture using mineral spirits and oil pastels.
D. Layering:


Here is a map of Chicago (click to enlarge):